Overview: Beyond Housing is a nationally recognized community development organization that works to strengthen families and transform underserved communities to create a stronger, more equitable, and prosperous St. Louis region for all. We engage where we’re needed, focusing on building consensus among leaders, providing and preserving housing, fostering community structures that shape lives, and guiding systems that make people’s lives better.
We lead with a vision for what a community can be ~ every community is different, but thriving communities tend to share the same basic set of positive traits regarding housing, safety, education, health, infrastructure, and access to basic human services.
We bring together leaders and resources, volunteers and citizens, and pursue a wide assortment of creative approaches to build stronger, healthier communities for life.
Finally, we are community builders, not kingdom builders. “It’s their neighborhood, future, & dreams”. Our objective is to help build and contribute the good things we do for the sake of adding value to the lives of the people we’re honored to serve.
Position Summary: The Carter Commons- Custodial Technician is responsible for ensuring Carter Commons Food Hall, Page Business Center, and Rosie Shields Manor present a safe, sanitary, and welcoming environment.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Completion of Daily Cleaning Checklist at the multi-site location, including:
- Collect waste and recycling, and place them in the exterior dumpster. Maintain exterior appearance. Dust surfaces, damp wipe furniture, clean and polish metal surfaces, and clean window and door glass. Clean and disinfect restroom fixtures restock dispensers and mop floors. Dust mop or damp mop floors in entrances, lobbies, halls, elevators, lounges, and other areas.Vacuum carpet, furniture, or floors.
- May be required to operate floor buffer and/or floor scrubber, strip/wax floors, move furniture, and perform other cleaning duties assigned.
- Maintain equipment, carts, and supply closets in a clean, orderly manner.
- Order and restock cleaning supplies and paper products as needed.
- Identify and report unsafe/unsanitary conditions, equipment repairs, and other problems to the supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Lifting 50 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects weighing up to 25 pounds. This is considered a medium lifting required position.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Bending – frequent
- Pushing – frequent
- Hearing – constant
- Reaching – occasional
- Climbing – occasional
- Seeing – constant
- Speaking – frequent
- Standing -constant
- Walking – constant
Definitions: Constant – activity is continually occurring and required to perform the essential functions of the job. Frequent – activity is a usual and customary part of the essential function of the job. Occasional – activity is needed to perform the essential functions of the job at random intervals. Not Required – this may be a routine part of the job, but the essential functions can be performed without this activity.
- Collaborative — A dynamic personality that is collaboratively minded, can recognize and identify strengths, seek consensus around mutual goals, and build meaningful relationships.
- Creative and Curious — A systems-thinker and builder, who is not afraid to be innovative in designing solutions and has skills in articulating these ideas and concepts.
- Methodical — Strong analytical, systems, and problem-solving skills to evaluate performance, prepare reports, and recommend/implement solutions using independent judgment. Ability to move from concepts to action through strong program design and evaluation.
- Reliable — Leadership skills that reflect and value a team approach, demonstrated integrity, effectiveness, efficiency, and the ability to deliver high-quality service. Highly capable of handling multiple tasks, projects, and timelines. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Trusted — Ability to work with residents, partners, and staff of diversified backgrounds with a positive, optimistic, solutions-oriented attitude. Shares a deep respect for the community, its stakeholders, and the residents that we serve.
- Driven — Passion for the work and an interest in continuous learning and improvement.
Preferred Experience and Qualifications:
- Above-average knowledge of Custodial, Janitorial, and Housekeeping practices.
- Ability to carry out other tasks, perform physical labor, operate tools and machinery, and lift at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to work in wet, damp, hot, cold, or dusty places.
- Ability to stoop or kneel in order to gain access to work areas.
- Ability to work while standing for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to recognize and correct conditions that require custodial work.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate in a professional and cordial manner with co-workers, vendors, and patrons.
- Must have valid license and insurance.
- Direct- Lead Custodial Technician
- Indirect- Maintenance Superintendent
Salary, Benefits, & Hours:
- Full-time hourly position ($12-14/hour) with benefits as determined in the current Beyond Housing Employee Handbook.
- Schedule Thu-Mon; 6am-3pm
Please send a resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. This job will remain posted until it has been filled.
Beyond Housing believes that each individual is unique and we are committed to respecting the diversity of all individuals. We strive to move beyond simple tolerance, embracing and celebrating the differences contained within each of us, making us stronger as whole.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this position. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required. Beyond Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ADA – Beyond Housing is committed to furthering the purpose of the American with Disabilities Act (ADA). The company is always willing to consider reasonable accommodations, which may allow a disabled person to perform this or any other job. The Summary of Physical Requirements is a list of what we believe at this point to be necessary in order to perform the essential functions of the job.
Diversity & Inclusion Statement: At Beyond Housing, we are committed to promoting Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity throughout our organization and culture. We strive to understand and appreciate the individuality of every employee and create a better place to work for all. We nurture a culture where everyone positively acknowledges equity through action and is aware, understanding, and appreciative of diversity.
Our vision is to go beyond simple tolerance and fully embrace the things that make each person unique. We recognize that our employees’ differences support our ability to advance equity for the communities we serve. Further, we understand that equity is critical to the fulfillment of our mission to help entire communities become better places to live.